A natural and collective project.
During the vintage 2016 we started, with several colleagues of Langhe and Roero, a plan to create a certification of sustainable cultivation for our vineyards. This is an engagement aimed at transform "natural" from a simple expression to a certified protocol of cultivation.
The project, called "The Green Experience", integrates the ecological production mechanisms with environmental and aesthetics care of the vine-covered hilly landscape.
The Green Experience is a collective, integrated and sustainable certification, dedicated to Piedmont wines.
It has three aims:
— preserve natural soil resources and biodiversity,
— enhance the distinctiveness of production methods,
— take care of the UNESCO hilly landscape of Langhe, Roero e Monferrato.
Outcome of an experimental project by Coldiretti Cuneo that lasted three years, it was born from the willingness of the Piedmont wine companies to meet consumers’ expectations and it allows the producers to begin a process of ecological improvement in the management of the vineyard and the landscape, a serious and structured process.
1. Eco-friendly and sustainable viticulture and productions
2. Protection of biodiversity and of the natural environment
3. Aesthetic protection of the natural and anthropic landscape
4. Priorities to agronomic solutions and respect for the soil
5. Elimination of chemical weeding in vine-rows
6. Sowing of herbal and floral essences in the vineyard
7. Dissemination of useful pollinating insects
8. Location of nests for birds functional to cultivation
9. Respect and honesty towards consumers
10. Traceability of controls and external certification
In the definition phase, it involved more than 1,200 wineries in the Langhe and Roero, experimenting with them more than 700 hectares of green manure and 500 for mating disruption.
The companies participating in The Green Experience are followed by the specialized technical assistance of Agency 4A of Coldiretti Cuneo and are checked and certified by an external control body chosen every year and recognized by MIPAAF.